Challenges in Participatory Local Governance
The Northern Luzon Coalition for Good Governance (NLCGG), ANSA-EAP's converners group for Northern Luzon conducted a one day consultation with local government leaders entitled "Challenges and Opportunities in Involving Citizens in Local Governance". The consultation held at Divine Word retreat House last January 4, 2012, was aimed to gather social accountability champions at the barangay (village) level and provide them a venue for exchanging ideas and mutual support.
At the end of the consultation, the participants came up with a covenant where they pledged to:
- Ensure, enhance and maximize citizen participation and protect public resources;
- Vigilantly monitor and lobby for the timely release of funds from other government units/officials;
- Increase barangay (village) revenue;
- Strengthen indigenous people's organizations;
- Form an environmental committee to address regulation of small scale mining; and
- Identify and protect watersheds within their own barangays.